Monday, November 28, 2011

Stampin' Up Dinoraur - a boy's birthday card


Hi blogging friends Free Smiley Courtesy of www.millan.net  

My nephew's 8th birthday was late last week and this is the card I made for him:



I used one of the newer stamp sets by Stampin' Up called "Dinoraur" which I really, really love and I couldn't wait to bring one of the images to life with my watercolour pencils.  I added some Glossy Accents to the black markings on his back plus his claws.  Here is a close-up of the Glossy Accents - you will have to peer closely as it isn't very easy to see but I can tell you that it "feels" all bumpy IRL.  



As you can probably tell, I did a ton of aging with Vintage Photo Distress ink and a seasponge.  This colour is one of my newer purchases of Distress ink and I think it is awesome.

The sentiment I made from the Stampendous Typewriter Alphabet clear set and I had a hard time trying to line up the letters all in a row so went for an uneven line which I think looked more fun.

I used my Spellbinder Pinking Circle Nestabilities (LOVE the pointy bits!!) to diecut the rust and pale olive cardstock and popped them on top of each other to get the double-spikey effect then popped this image panel up on dimensionals.

The designer papers are one of my all-time favourite papers called "Archaic" by Basic Grey.

For the side panel, I ran the designer paper through my Cuttlebug using my Mesh embossing folder then distressed it with some sandpaper.  The pale olive cardstock border was made with a Martha Stewart Embossed Zigzag edge punch.  The ribbon is from my stash; sorry I don't know who made it.  Here is a wee close-up of the side panel:




Lastly, I added 3 Kaiser Daffodil Sparklets to the bottom RH corner - aren't they just so cool?!!


When I stamped the Stampin' Up sentiment on the inside of the card, I did my usual dumb trick of not centering it on the cardstock and also stamped it crooked!!  Ugggh!!  The number of times I do that.......so I decided to re-stamp it on a panel similar to the one of the card-front except I reversed the order of colours and glued it over the crooked sentiment.  Because this panel was up a little high, I thought it would look better if I added the bottom panel which matches the side panel on the card-front - other than the fact I again reversed the colours - and of course, these panels are all aged the same as the card-front.  Here is a pic of the inside:





Challenges:

I am entering my card in the following challenges -

Cooking it up with Katie - Challenge #85 - A piece of pie - this week's recipe is:  use a Punch, add some Ink, include some Embossing

Mark's Finest Papers - Speedy the Cat's Friends Challenge #83 - Make it Masculine

Splitcoaststampers Inspiration Challenge #312 - Glenna Jean website - I chose the picture on the top row, 2nd from the left called 'Carson' as inspiration behind the colours on my card.

Thanks for stopping by - I really appreciate it! Free Smiley Courtesy of www.millan.net

Jocelyn


Card Recipe:

Stamps:  Stampin' Up Dinoraur, Stampendous Typewriter Alphabet SSC014 clear set

Ink:  Versafine Onyx black, Tim Holtz Vintage Photo Distress ink

Designer paper:  Basic Grey Archaic 6" x 6" paper pad

Accessories:  Cuttlebug, Cuttlebug Mesh embossing folder, Spellbinder Circle Nestabilities + Large Pinking Circle Nestabilities, seasponge, sandpaper, 140lb watercolour paper, Faber-Castell + Derwent Inktense watercolour pencils, small round paintbrush, ribbon from stash, dimensionals, Kaisercraft Daffodil Sparklets RS410, cardstock:  rust, pale olive

Punches:  Martha Stewart Embossed Diamond edge

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

great card for you nephew! i love the distressing and texture. you're right, the individual stamps are best stamped the way you did it.

cparsons said...

Wow! I love it! My son loved dinosaurs when he was little so I know how much your nephew will enjoy this card:)
Carole
http://scmagnolia.blogspot.com/

NanaConnie said...

I think this is a fabulous card! Great details. Thanks for playing in the challenge at Cooking It Up with
Katie and good luck. Hope to see you again soon.
NanaConnie DT Chef

Sarah said...

Fabulous card Jocelyn! Any little boy would love that!
Thank you for all your lovely comments and hugs on my blog since we lost Bozzy, they are so appreciated.
Sarah xx :0)

Jackie said...

What a fantastic card, I love the colours and textures :o)
Jackie xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi there Jobear thanks so much for popping over and do so love this old dinosaur -after all he s very aged and vintage so he must be old!!
I am smiling at myself thinking here is our Jobear aging and distressing! it looks great remember a certain email conversation a wee while ago now?? I do, love and God bless you and yours, Shaz in oz.x

Elizabeth Allan said...

Jocelyn the textured borders captures the essence of the dinosaur perfectly. Wonderfully distressed and fabulous inside design.

Pat said...

Love the colors of the textures in the background. Thanks for joining Speedy the Cats Friends.

Anonymous said...

The perfect birthday card for a little boy! I'm sure your nephew loved it. Love the texture and colors.

Lynn Mercurio said...

What a great card...such fantastic textures that really mimic the look and feel of reptiles. Awesome design and such a great image for this card...so creative.

Curt in Indy said...

Awesome, fabulous, amazing, wonderful, and just darn cute! This is now one of my most favorite cards you've ever made. That dinosaur is adorable and you colored it to perfection. Amazing card Jocelyn! Best, Curt

Janeen said...

fab dinousaur skins. Thanks for sharing with us at friends of Speedy the cat this week.

Denise Marzec said...

Great papers and that mesh embossed pattern is PERFECT with the dino theme!!

Merry said...

Oh wow....what amazing textures on this card. I bet your nephew loved it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...